Friday, July 31, 2009

A little view into the world of someone overweight

My intention when starting this blog was to be honest and upfront with what it is like to be overweight and going through surgery and I intend to keep that promise to myself.

I know for some people its hard to understand why a person can't stop eating or just say no to another helping of food. I have tried to explain this to people that don't or have never had issues with food before and some get it and some don't. The most common remark I get is, "Why don't you just stop"? It doesn't work that way, at least for someone with an eating issue. For me its emotional and situational. If I'm feeling anxious or down I will eat to comfort myself. If I am out in a social setting and it's new and I don't know a lot of people I will eat to calm myself down or I will do the opposite and won't eat anything. In my mind I'm thinking that the people I'm with will not be surprised that the fat girl is eating that.

Clothes shopping is not fun, period. You have to go to the "special" stores in order to find something your size or shop online. God forbid you walk into a normal store to look around because you will be stared at by the employees. Yes, discrimination is still out there and in full force for those of us with a weight issue.

I make sure that when I go out to eat that I sit at a table and not a booth unless I know I can fit in easily. Nothing is more embarrassing than sliding into a booth and not fitting. First of all not comfortable and second, not pretty.

Not going to certain venues because the seats are too small or uncomfortable. Movie theaters especially. It's far to painful. Seriously, do you want your hips to be numb when you are done watching a movie? Not so much.

It's amazing how complacent I have become when it comes to things like this. How it has become second nature to immediately say no to something or someone because you know you either won't fit or it will be uncomfortable physically. I am looking forward to the future when these thoughts won't even enter my mind. I will welcome it with open arms and a smile on my face.

I don't want to appear that I'm complaining because I'm fully aware that I gained the weight all by myself with no help from anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment