Monday, August 3, 2009

Sometimes a mistake can be a good thing

Who would have ever thought that a mistake could be a good thing. I was always told growing up that you learn by your mistakes and oh how true that is. I arrived at my appointment this morning to find out that I was scheduled for the wrong appointment. Instead of meeting with a doctor that performed weight loss surgery I was scheduled with a doctor that helped patients loose weight by changing their eating habits. Ding, ding, ding!!! Do you ever have those moments in life when you just know something feels right? Like there is a divine spirit guiding you and this was your path all along? That is how I felt this morning.

My sister, bless her heart, met me there and went in to the appointment with me. One for support and two to catch things that I might have missed. So glad she was there. I met first with the doctors nurse. What a wonderful woman. I can honestly say that I have never felt more comfortable sitting in a doctors office as I did today. I never felt ashamed of my weight or my eating habits. I was made to feel like I can do this, loose weight, and be successful at it. After briefly speaking with her the doctor came in. What a nice man he was. I instantly felt at ease. He told me right away that he did not perform weight loss surgery and wanted to know if I was okay with that. I told him that I was open minded to whatever the doctor had to suggest and that I am the type of person that likes to be informed. He continued and over the course of the next hour asked me my past relationship with food and my eating habits. I got emotional when he started to talk about food as a comfort. That rang so true and of course hit close to home. I showed both him and his nurse my food journal and they were impressed that I had started to keep one. The fact that I came to the appointment prepared and informed already they were very pleased with. In fact they both said that I am the type of patient they like to have. My doctor also told me this which I really liked. He said that he would not be doing what he was doing if it didn't work. That he had several patients that have lost 100, 150. 200+ pounds with his help and all without surgery. That was encouraging.

Now, I won't sit here and lie and say this is going to be a walk in the park, far from it. It will be a HUGE undertaking but I am prepared to tackle the challenge head on. Over the course of the next two weeks they gave me some guidelines on what I should eat. The goal of this program is to have a tailored program specifically for me and me alone. The goal is for me to work my way up to exercising 7 days a week, 1 hour every day. But, for right now it's baby steps. Little tiny baby steps.

I have a wonderful support system of family, friends and co-workers and on-line friends as well. I couldn't ask for anything more. I stopped at Barnes & Noble on the way home and purchased one of the books my doctor suggested: Volumetrics Weight-Control Plan. That is my homework for now.

In closing I will say that sometimes a mistake can be a good thing!

1 comment:

  1. You know what I say... there are no "mistakes" or coincidences in life. Divine Guidance... absolutely! If you can do this in the least invasive way possible, then all the better.

    ReplyDelete